Looking for something a bit different to your usual roast? Need something that still looks impressive in the middle of your festive table.
This Vegan, Cranberry and SOS Mix Wellington is a perfect festive centrepiece for your big holiday meal or just something a little special for a classic roast dinner.
SOS Mix has been around a veggie staple for years and comes as a dried mixture that you mix with cold water to form a sausage mince like texture. It’s super adaptable and can be used in many different meals shaped into sausages, balls, burger patties, schnitzel or, in this case, even a wellington.
Ready for the recipe?
Festive Vegan Cranberry and Hazelnut SOS Mix Wellington
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cups dried bread crumbs (you can easily make these from slightly stale bread!)
- 1-2 tbsp liquid vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tbsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- ½ cup fresh, frozen or dried cranberries (if using dried cranberries, soak in hot water for 15-20 mins and strain and re-measure for the right amount)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 150 g SOS mix
- 250 ml cold water
- 1 tbsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- A few extra cranberries (optional)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 12×12” puff pastry sheets (if buying ready made get from the fridge aisle if you want to re-freeze)
- Small amount of soy (or other) milk to wash the pastry with
The stuffing mixture
- Sauté the garlic and onions for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Add breadcrumbs and toast until they begin to brown, add hazelnuts, thyme, cranberries and seasoning and mix well. Add just enough liquid stock to hold the stuffing together.
The wellington mixture
- Prepare the SOS mix mixture by thoroughly mixing the SOS mix, water and thyme, leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Assembling the wellington
- You can make this into any shape you like, rings and rounds can make for a wonderful centrepiece! We opted for a log one year and just a straight squaretangle (just the pastry sheet cut in half) another year but the basic principal is the same
- Lay down one pastry sheet, mould the SOS mix to shape, layer stuffing mix on top of the SOS mix. Trim the pastry to shape, use the soy milk to wash around the edges and layer the second sheet on top, trim this sheet to shape also and use fingers to crimp around the edges.
- Use the pastry trimming to add shapes for the top of the wellington if desired, use the soy milk wash to attach them. Add a few 1/2 slits in the pastry top to allow steam to escape. Refrigerate for at least 20 mins before cooking.
- You can either cook straight away or freeze until needed! If cooking from frozen, the cooking time will need to be lengthened accordingly, just keep an eye on it and check that the centre has cooked fully. If the top is browning too quickly, lower the temperature and cover the top with foil if needed.
- Using a pastry brush, wash the wellington top with soy milk and bake at 200°C (180º fan) for 15-20mins then lower to 180°C (160º fan) for about 30mins.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes before serving with vegetables, vegan gravy and cranberry sauce!